Rigid substrate providing superior tile bond
- Perfect for use in interior applications such as kitchen counters and as an underlayment for ceramic tiles.
- Highly moisture-resistant, will not rot, disintegrate or swell when exposed to water.
- The 1/4-in thickness eliminates the need to modify adjacent thresholds when abutting to carpet, wood floors.
PermaBASE UltraBacker™ Cement Board features a smooth mesh and mat surface that creates a more rigid and easier-to-handle product and an improved surface providing a superior tile bond. It is ideally suited as an underlayment for ceramic tile on floors, countertops, tub decks, and outdoor kitchen counters.
- Features lowest water-absorption rating of <8% (ASTM C473).
- Stays intact when exposed to water; will not rot, disintegrate or swell.
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests (ASTM D3273 and ASTM G21).
- Resists impact and remains dimensionally stable.
- Holds up to toughest conditions.
- Can be applied over new or existing countertops or as flooring underlayment.
- Pre-manufactured panels save you time.
PermaBASE UltraBacker® Cement Board has achieved UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Products that suit any project criteria
Kitchen, Floors, Bathtub
EdgeTech® Reinforced Edge
Frequently Asked Questions
Ready to answer your product and installation questions
What kind of fasteners do I use to install PermaBASE UltraBacker® Cement Board?
Corrosion resistant screw or galvanized roofing nails. Strongly suggest PermaBASE screws since they do not have nibs like competitor screws.
What do I use to tape the PermaBASE UltraBacker® cement board joints?
2” Alkali resistant mesh tape and mortar mix.
What is the required joist spacing for floors?
For flooring applications with 16" o.c. floor joists, 5/8" tongue-and-groove exterior-grade plywood or 3/4" tongue-and -groove exterior-grade OSB may be used. For 19.2" o.c. and 24" o.c. floor joists, 3/4" tongue-and-groove exterior-grade plywood or OSB must be used. Tile size for floors with 24" o.c. floor joists must be 12" x 12" or larger. The joist and subfloor assembly must meet L/360 as well as the appropriate code tables for live and dead loads.
What is the fastener spacing for floor applications?
Every 8” o.c. along the perimeter and field of board.
Tips & Tools
Detailed information to support your next project
Product details and technical documentation
For International Distributors of Unifix products, click belowExplore Now
Discuss your project with Unifix experts who can help guide your product selection.Get In Touch
Need Technical Information?
Unifix is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by PermaBASE Building Products, LLC.